Welcome to Morehead State University
Welcome to the 108th Kentucky Academy of Science Annual Meeting
Morehead State is at the forefront of STEM education in the Commonwealth
Morehead State University has served generations of students and families through hands-on education and continues to prepare students for the workforce with its selection of cutting-edge STEM programs. Students in all degree fields have opportunities to incorporate STEM into their studies through unique programs and initiatives designed to prepare them for 21st-century careers. Here are just some of the unique offerings available at Morehead State:
- Our program of distinction, the Bachelor of Science in Space Systems Engineering, is one of only a handful of such programs in the nation, with graduates working at aerospace firms, defense contractors and NASA.
- Students in our space systems engineering programs receive hands-on skills and experience in designing, planning, building, and monitoring CubeSats and nanosats, small satellites used for space exploration. One of our CubeSats, Lunar IceCube, is included in NASA's Artemis I mission to the moon.
- The Craft Academy for Excellence in Science and Mathematics is a dual-credit academy for academically exceptional Kentucky students interested in pursuing STEM degrees. The Academy recently launched the Center for STEM+eXcellence, a summer enrichment program that offers STEM-based educational camps and activities to K-12 students throughout Eastern Kentucky.
- The Ernst and Sara Lane Volgenau College of Education at Morehead State encourages future educators to pursue STEM through its Volgenau Scholars program. The renewable scholarship is offered to students pursuing math or science-related teaching degrees.
- The MSUTeach program offers students in STEM fields the opportunity to expand their career readiness by earning a bachelor's degree in their chosen field and a Kentucky teaching certification simultaneously.
- Students at MSU have the opportunity to conduct groundbreaking scientific research as early as their freshman year with our Undergraduate Research Fellowship program. The program partners students with faculty members actively engaged in scientific research and provide them with valuable practical skills that give them an edge in the job market. Students also gain networking opportunities by presenting their findings at local, state, national and international conferences.
- Our nursing program has a reputation throughout Kentucky for producing competent, capable nurses skilled in-patient care. Our programs boast consistent 100% job placement rates. Our students learn in state-of-the-art lab facilities equipped with mannequins that mimic a range of ailments and symptoms.